- 1 kg (2 lb) rump or fillet steak
- 30 g (1 oz) butter
- 1 onion
- 250 g ( 8 oz) mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt, pepper
- Cut meat into thin strips, about 1 cm (1/2 in.) by 5 cm (2 in.). Melt butter in pan, saute peeled and finely-sliced onion until trans-parent, add meat, continue to cook until almost done. Add sliced mushrooms, saute until meat is tender. Add tomato paste and sour cream, season with salt and pepper, heat through gently. Serve with hot noodles or rice. Serves 4 to 6.
- BEEF FILLET WITH STROGANOFF SAUCE
- This is an easy way to have the same delicious Stroganoff flavor. Place 1 whole beef fillet (1 to 1 1/4 kg) in baking dish, sprinkle with pepper. Add 60 g (2 oz.) butter to pan. Roast in moderate oven 10 minutes per 500g for rare meat, 20 minutes per 500g for medium; allow a little longer for well done. Cut beef into slices, serve with Stroganoff Sauce spooned over, or serve sauce separately.
- STROGANOFF SAUCE:
- Melt 30 g (1 oz.) butter in pan, add 1 finely-chopped onion, saute gently until onion is tender. Add 250 g (8 oz.) sliced mushrooms, cook until mushrooms are well softened. Add 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard, salt, pepper, then stir in 1 cup sour cream. Heat gently, simmer 5 minutes. This sauce is also excellent spooned over grilled or pan-fried steaks
Taken from an early 1980s Women’s Weekly collection.