Crockpot Beef Brisket
- 4 lbs. (2kg) beef brisket (NOT corned, NOT rolled) or full Dexter brisket, double the sauce; fold or cut brisket in half
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup (or tomato sauce)
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 2 onions, thinly sliced (pan fry to transparent first)
- 2 Tbsp. flour (Maggi rich gravy mix is better)
- 1/3 cup water
- Place fried onions in bottom of large slow cooker, then place brisket, fat side up, on top of onions.
- Sprinkle garlic on top.
- Combine ketchup, vinegar, and brown sugar in small bowl and rub into beef.
- Add enough water to coat the bottom of the cooker. Cover crock-pot and cook on Low 8-10 hours.
- For gravy, remove brisket from the slow cooker place on serving plate, and cover tightly with foil. Turn crock-pot temperature to High. Mix flour with 1/3 cup water, add to crock-pot, and bring to a boil, stirring frequently with wire whisk.
BEST USE: cook the meat overnight for 10 (or so) hours, remove meat to cool quickly, refrigerate until later. Pour the liquid into a jug, refrigerate when cool. An hour or so before the planned meal, remove the fat off the liquid, heat and lightly thicken with Maggi rich gravy mix. Slice meat into casserole dish, add hot gravy, cover with foil and heat through in oven. LATER fry scraps in pan for tasty crackling.