Ginger Beef – Chinese
- 5OO g (1 lb.) fillet steak, in one piece
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 125g (4 oz.) piece green ginger
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil, extra
- 1 green pepper
- 6 shallots or spring onions
- 1 red chilli
- Trim all fat and sinew from meat, slice into 5 mm (1/4 in.) slices. Put meat in bowl, combine with cornflour, oil and soy sauce, mix well, marinate 20 minutes. Clean, peel and thinly slice green ginger, combine with vinegar, sugar and salt in bowl, marinate 20 minutes or longer.
- Heat extra oil in pan, add meat slices gradually, spreading out in pan. When browned on one side, turn to brown other side; don`t overlap slices or meat will not brown well. Cook quickly and only until meat is tender; remove meat from pan.
- Add ginger with liquid to pan with chopped pepper and shallots; cook quickly, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes. Return meat to pan, continue cooking further 1 minute, stirring constantly. Serve garnished with thinly sliced chilli.
Taken from an early 1980s Women’s Weekly collection, which states: . “This recipe comes from the Shang Palace Restaurant in the Shangri-la, one of Singapore`s newest and most beautiful hotels, The Shang Palace is one of several restaurants in the hotel, and specialises in superb Chinese food.”