Veal Alla Parma – Italian
- 750g (1 1/2lb) veal steaks
- salt, pepper
- 90g (3oz) butter
- 125g (4oz) ham
- 1/4 cup sweet sherry
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Pound veal steaks out thinly, cut into 5cm x 5cm (2in x 2in) pieces. Coat veal in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Heat butter in pan, add veal, brown quickly on both sides. Sprinkle meat with finely-diced ham, add sherry, sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Cover, reduce heat, cook 2 minutes.
- Spoon onto serving plates, scrape pan to get all juices, spoon over meat, sprinkle with parsley. Serve with spinach accompaniment.
- SPINACH, ROMAN STYLE:
- Wash spinach, remove white stalks, put in pan with water clinging to leaves, cover, cook 5 minutes. Drain off liquid, add butter to pan, season with salt and pepper, add the whole clove of garlic, saute over low heat until spinach is cooked; discard garlic.
- Add sultanas to pan, just cover with water, bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer until all liquid has been absorbed. Put spinach onto serving plate, sprinkle with sultanas, sprinkle with nutmeg.
Taken from an early 1980s Women’s Weekly collection which states: . "The Rigoletto, one of Melbourne`s famous Italian restaurants, serves fine Italian food to a soft background accompaniment of Italian opera music. The food is Italian cooking at its best, and the recipe given here - veal, with its unusual spinach accompaniment - is simple, but superb in flavour."